If you are experiencing shoulder pain, everyday tasks can be downright dreadful. The shoulder is the most flexible and moveable joint in the body, so it’s no surprise that it is quite susceptible to injury. Some of the most common causes of pain are instability, overuse, underuse, arthritis, bone fractures, and tears. Here are 5 tips that may help alleviate your shoulder pain.
- Heat/Cold Therapy: Heat increases blood flow to the area it's applied which helps soothe sore, stiff muscles. Ice will reduce inflammation which is a major contributor to pain. You may try both methods and see which works best to relieve your symptoms.
- Over-the-counter NSAIDs: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are designed to reduce inflammation. Ibuprofen and naproxen are among some of the most commonly recommended medications.
- Injections: Some of the most common forms of injectables for orthopedic injuries are cortisone injections and PRP (platelet-rich plasma). Cortisone injections can be most beneficial when used alongside physical therapy. Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory medication that reduces inflammation and alleviates pain. PRP(Platelet-rich plasma) is another type of injectable that uses your body’s natural substances to treat injuries and conditions.
- Exercise/Physical Therapy: A physical therapist can show you specific exercises that will increase your strength and improve mobility. They will teach you specific exercises that you can do at home several days a week.
- Rest/Activity Modifications: Rest is key when it comes to the healing process. This does not mean that you should not use the affected arm, but plan for periods of active rest. Modify your activity by avoiding daily tasks that cause pain.
If you have been suffering from shoulder pain and it worsens or you do not see improvement, make an appointment with Dr.DiGiulio today. You will undergo a thorough examination and receive an accurate diagnosis, and treatment plan.
Milan M. DiGiulio, M.D. offers comprehensive orthopedic care for you and your entire family, specializing in Sports Medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee. Dr. DiGiulio performs over 200 arthroscopic shoulder and knee surgeries each year, using the most advanced surgical technology. Dr. DiGiulio is an advocate of non-invasive, non-surgical treatment options such as Physical Therapy and Orthobiologics.